This rich and vast collection of material includes unpublished papers, drafts of manuscripts (published and unpublished), lecture notes and outlines, published articles, outlines of projected books, notes by Karl Polanyi, papers by others (many of Karl Polanyi's students), extensive correspondence, and memorabilia.
The Karl Polanyi fonds correspond to three periods in Karl Polanyi's life:
1) The Hungary / Vienna Period: 1886-1933
2) The England Period: 1934-1946
3) The North America Period: 1947-1964
The seven principle series in the collection are:
1) Writings by Karl Polanyi, 1907-1978
2) Notes by Karl Polanyi, 1919-1963
3) Lectures by Karl Polanyi, 1927-1963
4) Journal Co-existence, 1961-1966
5) Correspondence, 1898-1989
6) Articles and Papers by Others, 1898-1986
7) Biographical Information and Personal Papers
The Institute also houses a selection of Karl Polanyi’s books (1878-1975). The books are classified into three groups: books from the private collection of Karl Polanyi (58 books). Books dedicated to Karl Polanyi (45 books). Books annotated by Karl Polanyi (37 books).
© 2002. Karl Polanyi Institute of Political Economy.
Phone: 514 - 848-8707